www.cof8.com -- Work smarter and don't stress!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Be inspired by bad news

Be inspired by bad news instead of depressed

When we hear about something bad happening in the world how does that make us feel?

It seems every week there is a tragedy - earthquake or tsunami, greed, children starving - there are a lot of terrible things happening in the world every day.
It can be pretty overwhelming if you really think about it. A lot of people stop tuning into the news or just grow disconnected to the lives of others. I used to try to avoid all those "negative" stories but not anymore.

Because they inspire me. In fact they inspire me so much I realised yesterday I part of the reason I had been feeling uninspired lately is because I haven't been exposed to what is really happening across the globe.

Because I believe and I care. I believe WE can make a difference, each of us has the power inside to do something wonderful. And I care about everyone and hate to watch them suffer.

So the first step is toreally connect and be aware of what’s going on. Be aware locally and globally and make an effort to find documentaries, news and stories that highlight in detail what’s happening. Don’t be afraid to find out the nasty details and look for the "human side" so you can connect to the story personally.

Secondly appreciate your own life and how good it is. Use this insight to help strip away all the things you may be wasting your time on like watching TV and see how much energy you could be using to help those in need. Don’t get caught up in guilt either, none of this is your fault just be aware of the time you have that you could use to help others.

Thirdly examine your own gifts and social connections and look for a fit for your gifts into what’s going on in your life and the world. It can be something really simple like calling someone who appreciates your company or it could be starting a new project that may one day change the world. It doesn’t matter what it is, and it is different for everyone. It is your own unique gift to the world.

There is no wrong way of trying to help but you might have to try a few different things before you find something that really works. It took me years to find something I really believe in and I’m still not sure how to go about it exactly!

But trying brings me a heap of satisfaction and happiness.



No comments:

Post a Comment